Horses in the Movies and in our Lives
In the year 1878, Eadweard Muybridge made the world’s first movie. The star was a galloping racehorse. Horses have been in movies ever since. In fact horses have been in more movies than almost any other animal. Maybe, it is because horses look beautiful on screen. Or maybe it is because horses mean exciting rides and daring adventures. Organizations like the American Quarter Horse Association believe the real reason is because there is a special bond between humans and their horses. As horsemen we teach our horses many things, but they teach us just as much. Horses teach us kindness, loyalty and patience. They are our friends, our family, and part of the story of being human.
Horses are also the ultimate movie action heroes. They are brave, loyal, calm under pressure, and don’t talk much. Perhaps that is why there are so many movies about them. Check out some of our favorite horse flicks:
- Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron - This is an animated movie that follows the adventures of a wild mustang in the Old West.
- Seabiscuit - This is the true story of Seabiscuit, a small thoroughbred racehorse that competed during the Depression era in the 1930s. His victories lifted the spirits of the nation during those hard times.
- National Velvet - In this famous film, a young girl named Velvet Brown wins a horse in a lottery. Velvet wants to race the horse she calls Pie. She disguises herself as a boy to compete in the famous Grand National steeplechase.
- Black Beauty - The most enduring story about a horse. Black Beauty tells his own story about leaving the home he loves and experiencing many hardships before finding the boy he was meant to live with.
- Into the West - A thrilling adventure story of two poor boys growing up in Ireland. When they find a mysterious white horse, their lives are changed forever.
- The Black Stallion - A young boy survives a shipwreck and is stranded on an island with a no one but a black horse. The boy and the horse form a powerful bond. After they are rescued they race against and beat the fastest horses in the country.